Tuesday, September 6, 2011

6 months ago.

It was this day 6 months ago. I woke up to alarm that seemed to come way too early, and I dreaded the events that were planned for that day. Rewind four days and you would have found me at an event in DC. I was with Jess and Sam and we were standing around eating free appetizers when Lauren and Steve walked in. You see, at the time I had no idea who they were. I quickly found out that Steve was the Pastor of Jess' church in Annapolis and Lauren, his wife, was the woman who Jess had told about me. You know, to date her son. It sounded like a great idea to me that night. I would come to church where he would be on Sunday, we would all casually go out to lunch afterward, and the rest would be history. Well, I felt quite differently about the situation when I awoke on that Sunday morning. I pretty much thought that this all sounded pretty LAME. People knew that I was coming, TO MEET HIM. Which pretty much meant all eyes would be on us, I would forget how to talk, and the entire thing would be a waste of time and I could have just kept sleeping. After all of these worst case scenarios entered my brain, I remembered that I had told his mom I would go. She was a complete stranger to me but I had told her I would go. And so I went.

It was there that I finally met Aaron. And when I say I met him, that is literally all that happened. We greeted each other and that was it. Until lunch. My plan was to stick with Jess and Sam, because we were a trio, and I knew that no matter what lunch was like, the three of us would have fun. We arrived before every one else and headed to the bathroom. Once we came out everyone was there and the three empty seats were down at the end, near Aaron. I sat diagonal from him and continued to have a dramatic inner-dialogue about how the entire table would be watching us talk. This ended up not being true and lunch was actually so great. We all chatted and laughed and I even caught Aaron looking at me nicely a few times. Our conversation was pretty normal until someone asked Aaron about his cat. HIS CAT? This is the dialogue that followed...

Me: You have a cat??
Aaron: Yes.
Me: WHY?

I have no tact. Luckily, he laughed and explained to me why he had a cat. The great thing was I thought he was cute enough at this point to let that go. Shortly after, we all parted ways, and although the lunch was fun I had no expectations for ever really seeing him again. It wasn't until I got home when I had pretty immediate friend request from him did I think that perhaps he enjoyed meeting me, too. I know, I know. A friend request is a lot to read into, but it was pretty close to immediate and so I let my little mind wander to it meaning something. Which, now knowing his side of the story, it did ;)

So anyways, a few days went by and I woke up on Tuesday and remembered how I pretty much had insulted his cat ownership and so I took it upon myself to write him a Facebook message apologizing. From there a chain of messages were sent back and forth which finally lead to our first date that Friday.

Now I know that six months isn't really that long at all. It's not even something worth writing home about. But, you see, these past six months have been the best of my life. They have been full of love, so much laughter, and a relationship more full than I could have imagined. On the 6th of every month since then we've reflected on the events of that day, the hilarious inner-dialogue we were having in our brains and the ridiculous things I said that lead us to where we are now. I'm so thankful I got my lazy butt out of bed that morning. I can't wait for the next six!

Here are some of my favorite iPhone pictures from the past six months.

Photobucket

0 comments: